INSPIRATION workshop Moldox Lab 2022
Want to level up your documentary filmmaking skills?
Join the INSPIRATION workshop Moldox Lab 2022 online and in Cahul and turn your idea of a social relevance project to the next level!
What does the workshop offer?
The INSPIRATION Workshop is designed to assist young and inspired filmmakers from Moldova in developing their social-issue documentaries. Two experienced tutors Hjalmar Palmgren (Sweden) and Melody Gilbert (USA) will teach the participants all the steps in film development, production and co-production processes.
The young film directors will learn:
- The essential elements of documentary film scriptwriting;
- How to write the synopsis in a manner in which it will truly reflect the subject of the film;
- How to pitch the stories to attract the interest of potential co-producers and patrons of the European documentary film market.
The workshop will conclude with one-on-one meetings, public pitching, and screening of the participant’s documentary projects. When the film project will be ready, it will premiere at Moldox Festival. The European industry experts will select the four best projects to attend networking and training programs in Europe.
Module I ONLINE (July 1 – 3, 2022) is focused on developing the proposed project, editing the trailer and study cases.
Module II CAHUL (August 22 – 28, 2022) implies an intensive workshop on writing and pitching effective proposals used for the presentation of the projects to potential financiers and organizations in the field.
The INSPIRATION workshop is aimed at experienced filmmakers, journalists, and visual storytellers who are already working on a subject for a documentary and want to increase their knowledge of producing and co-producing in Europe.
- To get the most from the workshop, applicants should have the projects in the early development stage (synopsis, treatment, research) or in production.
- The topic of the films must have a solid social topic and should be of local realities or related to Moldova.
- Participants have at least two years of experience in filmmaking or TV documentary production.
- Participants are proficient in English.
- Participants are citizens of the Republic of Moldova or have a co-produced project in the Republic of Moldova.
*Note: Preference will be given to participants that have not participated in the past Moldox Lab editions.
How to apply
- Fill in this application form together with a summary of your CV by June 15, 2022!
- (Optional) Send an online preview of the project (sequence cut around 10 min or longer) with English subtitles and password to firstname.lastname@example.org. In case you don’t have subtitles, send the English dialogue.
The participation is free of charge! Accommodation and meals (coffee breaks, main meals) will be covered by the organizers.
Hjalmar Palmgren is a renowned name in the documentary film industry. He has worked on several famous documentaries such as “I Called Him Morgan” which premiered at the 73rd Venice International Film Festival, and the 2012 Oscar-winning documentary “Searching for Sugar Man”. The films he worked on were screened at the most prestigious film festivals worldwide, including Sundance, Telluride Film Festival, Toronto International Film Festival, New York Film Festival, and BFI London Film Festival. Palmgren has a background as Film Commissioner for documentaries at the Swedish Film Institute, Commissioning editor for doc’s on art and culture at Swedish public service broadcaster SVT, and director of film funding at the Swedish Film Institute. He has been teaching the INSPIRATION Workshop at Moldox Lab since 2019.
Melody Gilbert is an award-winning documentary filmmaker who has directed, produced, shot, and edited eight feature-length documentaries screened at noteworthy film festivals. She also serves as a producer for other documentary projects, including “Love Them First: Lessons From Lucy Laney Elementary” (2020 Alfred I. DuPont award) and “Beneath the Ink” (nominated for a 2019 Emmy for Outstanding Short Documentary), “Women Outward Bound” (2016/PBS) and the James Beard award-winning “The Starfish Throwers” (2015). She works mostly solo and has the ability to get people to reveal their innermost thoughts, whether it’s the family of a child who can’t feel pain (A LIFE WITHOUT PAIN/SXSW), a former Vice President of the United States (“Fritz: The Walter Mondale Story”/PBS), or people who have full-fledged relationships with synthetic companions (“Silicone Soul,” currently on STARZ). Melody is also a passionate educator on the faculty at Northwestern State University in the Department of New Media, Journalism, and Communication Arts. The Documentary Channel calls Melody “one of the most fearless filmmakers in contemporary documentary cinema.” She has been teaching the INSPIRATION Workshop at Moldox Lab since 2016.
- Applications that do not include all required materials and/or do not respect the deadline will not be considered.
- By applying to the workshop, you confirm the availability to participate in both modules (at the online session and at the workshop in Cahul).
- Projects participating in the Inspiration Workshop should – once finalized – mention their participation at the Moldox Lab and the Moldox Lab visual identity (logo) in their credits.
For other questions, please contact us at the email@example.com.